THE INDIAN DIABETES RISK SCORE
CHECK HOW MUCH YOU SCORE ON DIABETES RISK!!
Let’s check your risk of developing diabetes with the Indian Diabetes Risk Score. This is a simple screening tool that helps predict your risk of developing diabetes. The Indian Diabetes Risk Score predicts the probability of diabetes based on four simple parameters— age, abdominal obesity, family history of diabetes, and physical activity. A maximum score of 100 is given for these categories combined. Interestingly, this is one test, where you would want to score less.
SO, WHAT’S YOUR SCORE? (Circle the score and calculate the total)
- Waist < 80 cm [female]; < 90 cm [male]
- Waist 80 - 89 cm [female], 90 – 99 cm [male]
- Waist ≥ 90 cm [female], ≥ 100 cm [male]
- Vigorous exercise [regular] or strenuous [manual] work at home / work
- Moderate exercise [regular] or moderate physical activity at home / work
- Mild exercise [regular] or mild physical activity at home / work
- No exercise and sedentary activities at home / work
Family history of diabetes
- Both parents are diabetic
IF THE SCORE IS...
- ≥ 60: Very HIGH RISK of having diabetes:
Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) is recommended to rule out diabetes. If this is not possible, at least a random blood sugar or a fasting blood sugar should be done
- 30 – 50: The risk of having diabetes is MODERATE:
It is still recommended to have the above check up.
- < 30: Risk of having diabetes is probably LOW