NON-MODIFIABLE RISK FACTORS FOR DIABETES
DIABETES RISK YOU CANNOT CHANGE
It is good to know the risk of diabetes since this condition might not trigger any obvious symptoms in some individuals, causing a delay in the diagnosis.
Following are non-modifiable risk factors of diabetes:
- 45+ years old
- The older you are, the higher the risk
- If you have relatives with diabetes, your risk for diabetes increases
Race or ethnic background1:
- Asian-American, Latino/Hispanic-American, African-American, Native American or Pacific Islander descent have increased risk of diabetes
- Indians have increased risk of developing diabetes at a younger age compared to western counterparts.
History of Gestational Diabetes1*:
- Developing diabetes during pregnancy can increase the risk
* Diabetes during pregnancy. Giving birth to a baby weighing 9+ pounds is also a risk factor.