TYPES OF ACTIVITIES
Exercise plays a very important role in managing blood glucose levels in diabetes. It makes your insulin work more effectively thus improving blood glucose levels. Advice from the doctor must be taken before starting any exercise regime.1
There are different types of physical activity. You may have heard few forms of activity such as— “aerobics”, “cardio”, and “muscle strengthening”. These exercises are part of a healthy lifestyle and have different effect on your body.2
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY 1
AEROBIC EXERCISES 1,2
- Brisk Walk
STRENGTH TRAINING EXERCISES
- Resistance bands
- The recommendation is 30 minutes of moderate-to vigorous intensity of exercise for at least 5 days a week or a total of 150 minutes per week
- The activity should be spread out over at least 3 days during the week and should not be skipped for more than 2 days together
SET A SMALL GOAL
Add 15 minutes each day until you reach your goal.
- Before starting any exercise regime, one should take the doctor's advice as certain exercises are contraindicated in case of some diabetes related complications
- It is important to check blood glucose level before and after exercise
- Do not check blood glucose level immediately after exercise. Wait for the body to cool down and then monitor.